(T) Every four years at the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM), the Fields Medal laureates are announced. This week, at the 2018 ICM in Rio de Janeiro, it was announced that the Fields Medals were awarded to:
- Caucher Birkar, for the proof of the boundedness of Fano varieties and for contributions to the minimal model program
- Alessio Figalli, for contributions to the theory of optimal transport and its applications in partial differential equations, metric geometry, and probability.
citation video write-up
- Peter Scholze, for transforming arithmetic algebraic geometry over p-adic fields through his introduction of perfectoid spaces, with application to Galois representations, and for the development of new cohomology theories
- Akshay Venkatesh, for his synthesis of analytic number theory, homogeneous dynamics, topology, and representation theory, which has resolved long-standing problems in areas such as the equidistribution of arithmetic objects
About their work from the International Mathematical Union:
About who they are and what they did from Quanta Magazine:
- An Innovator Who Brings Order to an Infinitude of Equations
- A Traveler Who Finds Stability in the Natural World
- A Master of Numbers and Shapes Who Is Rewriting Arithmetic
- A Number Theorist Who Bridges Math and Time
Mathematics is still essential for science and technology to progress!
Reference:Prof. Mirzakhani Avila Bhargava and Hairer Winning the 2014 Fields Medals
Note: The picture above is Praia de Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro from http://www.flickr.com/photos/26912057@N02/ bisonlux
Copyright © 2005-2018 by Serge-Paul Carrasco. All rights reserved.
Contact Us: asvinsider at gmail dot com.