(E) I went this weekend to visit the Pacific Grove’s sanctuary for the Monarch. It was depressing to see so few butterflies. Please plant some milkweed in your garden this Spring.
Following are the 5 actions recommended by the Xerces Society to save the Monarch from extension – Western Monarch Call to Action:
Protect and manage California overwintering sites
- Restore breeding and migratory habitat in California
- Protect monarchs and their habitat from pesticides
- Protect, manage, and restore summer breeding and fall migration monarch habitat outside of California.
- Answer key research questions about how to best aid western monarch recovery
- Monterey Herald: Monarch numbers way down
- The New York Times: With 86% Drop, California’s Monarch Butterfly Population Hits Record Low
- The New York Times: Are We Watching the End of the Monarch Butterfly?
Note: The picture above is two Monarch from the Pacific Grove sanctuary.
Copyright © 2005-2018 by Serge-Paul Carrasco. All rights reserved.
Contact Us: asvinsider at gmail dot com.